We are just about finished with the bedroom redesign and I struggled with what to do with all my thread that was lying about on the thread organizer on the floor. I need it easily accessible but it's not really attractive sitting on the floor next to the machine cabinet. I really wanted to make a thread tidy out of driftwood like this cool one, but alas, Ubergeek balked, saying it would be an incredible amount of work, and he is NOT retired you know. So I decided on something similar to this pretty framed one, and I'm happy with it.
Mine is quite a bit larger than the inspiration, I also chose to paint the thread tidy a cool blue, to contrast with my Sherwin Williams Sea Salt walls and the reclaimed barn wood frame. The frame was a damaged custom order from Hobby Lobby, so it was $10. I think it looks kind of driftwoody though, which is perfect since it reminds me of the sea, rather than a barn. I used Command Picture Hanging strips to hang both, one inside the other so no holes in the wall.
The fresh for 1960 sewing book and sewing table with machine stored inside were my grandmothers. I love that the machine stows away when I'm not using it.
Diva had fun organizing the thread in sort of ROYGBIV order, then she put it all in a box mixed up and gave it back to me. At least it occupied her for 20 minutes.